With Chummy due to give birth soon, life at Nonnatus House is looking good until the nuns and midwives learn the convent has been earmarked for demolition. Fred's pregnant daughter Dolly turns up and is diagnosed with toxaemia. Meanwhile, Sister Bernadette agrees to go to the Motherhouse in Chichester to consider her future with the Order after being released from the sanatorium, but by the day of her discharge she has come to a decision. Jimmy returns, accompanied by his handsome colleague Alec, and a romance begins to develop between Alec and Jenny.
Songs featured Edit
- This episode includes the first appearance of Alec Jesmond.
- This episode includes the last appearances of James Wilson and Jane Sutton.
- Sister Bernadette officially leaves the Order and reverts to her birth name Shelagh. We also learn that Dr. Turner's first name is Patrick.
- "Sister Evangelina: I remember when she took her first vows, chose her religious name. I thought she'd had her head turned by that film. We had a lot of that in the 40's. Young girls would come here and you'd wonder what brought them. Was it the Lord, the war, or The Song of Bernadette? (laughs)
Sister Julienne: At least they came. New vocations are dwindling by the year."
- - Sister Evangelina to Sister Julienne in reference to Shelagh
- "Peter: Is there any news?
Sister Evangelina: It's a baby, not a lubricated penguin. They don't come sliding out to order."
- - Sister Evangelina to Peter during Chummy's labour.